How To Make A Bar Graph
These are specific directions for Mrs. Alejandre's mathematics students at Frisbie
Middle School. Students were given a lesson on making graphs using a Claris Works
spreadsheet file. They are to apply what they learned in that lesson as they work on a
Team Project involving a survey, data collection and data display.
- In Column A type in labels for your data. In Column B type in the data.
Make Bar Graph
- Select all of your entries in Column A and B.
- Go to Options, select Make Chart.
- A window will appear with the different types of graphs.
- Select Bar and consider the different options at the bottom of the window.
Try them and see which ones enhance your graph. Remember that you are displaying data
to present information! Your graph should be clear.
- Go to Labels, type in your Title.
- Go to Axes, notice that y-axis is selected. Type a name for the y-axis
(That is the line going from top to bottom on your graph).
- Select x-axis. Type a name for the x-axis (That is the line going from left to
right along the bottom of the graph).
- Now you are ready to make your graph. Select OK.
Change Fonts and Colors in Bar Graph
- To change the font of the title or the legend, click on it once so that it is selected
and then go to Format in the menu bar.
- You may change the font, size, style and/or color of the text.
- Remember that your chart should have clearly displayed information.
- The colors displayed above are the default colors that Claris Works uses. They
can be changed very easily to be colors of your choice.
- Go to View, select Show Tools.
- On your graph, select one of the small squares of color by clicking on it once. Use the
paint palette. Select a different color and you will see that the original color will be
Return to Spreadsheet Activity
© 1994-2014 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.
Send comments to: Suzanne Alejandre