Permission to use this kite image kindly given by Hoy Quan of the BFK Kite Store
Dragonwings, a novel by Laurence Yep, is the basis of an interdisciplinary project for students of Team 7-2 at Frisbie Middle School. The students will have assignments in language arts, mathematics, science and social studies as part of this interdisciplinary unit.
Sites to Use to Develop Lessons/Activities
- Students read Dragonwings.
- Kite construction.
- The Dragon in Mythology/Folktale/Folklore.
- Horoscopes and Astrology as method of coping with the unknown.
- Read passage in book where father has dragon dream. Students draw dragons.
- Enlargement to scale activity using dragon drawings.
- Symmetry of kites.
All Curricular Areas
- Read and discuss thrust, lift and drag.
- Make common paper airplanes and air foils. Go to the links with the free designation.
- Alter original planes to create rolls, loops, etc.
- Dragonwings Related Extra Credit - Chinese Astrology
- Dragonwings Internet Scavenger Hunt. To complete the Scavenger Hunt students access the Dragonwings student page.
- Kite flying activity.
Links to sites by Suzanne Alejandre
Dragonwings Teacher's Cyberguide
by Susan Murphy, San Diego County Office of Education
Internet Insights: Dragonwings
El Dorado County Office of Education
Forks Middle School 7th Grade Curriculum Site
Laurence Yep Curriculum Materials
Excellent sample pages that you can download including
Dragonwings Alternative Assessment for Literature Teacher Resource
Information on the Author:
Dragonwings Theme Connections Theme Packet
Dragonwings Latitudes Teacher Resource
Laurence Yep - Kaleidoscope 6, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Laurence Yep - Gabe Gancarz, University of Illinois
© 1994-2013 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.
Send comments to: Suzanne Alejandre