4. Model with mathematics.
How are second and third grade teachers helping their students model with mathematics?
How can students be helped to:
- apply the mathematics they know to solve problems arising in everyday life, society, and the workplace
- write an addition equation to describe a situation
- identify important quantities in a practical situation
- map their relationships using such tools as diagrams, two-way tables, graphs, flowcharts and formulas
- analyze those relationships mathematically to draw conclusions
- interpret their mathematical results in the context of the situation
- reflect on whether the results make sense, possibly improving the model
What are you doing to help students develop this practice? What makes it hard? What challenges are you encountering?