High school teachers who have focused on the Process Standards from NCTM may already have classroom environments that encourage strong mathematical practices. Their experiences and suggestions may help others who have not had that classroom focus or who are having students enter their middle school classrooms without the benefit of elementary and/or middle school experiences focused on strong mathematical practices.
The Math Forum’s hope is that teachers will engage in discussions, including
- What encourages students to develop these practices?
- What challenges have been encountered?
- What successes have been experienced?
- What ideas are there to try?
- What resources are there to share?