8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
How are middle school teachers helping their students look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning?
How can students be helped to:
- notice if calculations are repeated
- look both for general methods and for shortcuts
- maintain oversight of the process, while attending to the details
- evaluate the reasonableness of their intermediate results
What are you doing to help students develop this practice? What makes it hard? What challenges are you encountering?