Display the two paragraphs.
- Ask “What do you notice?”
- (my guess is that many students don’t have cooking experience and there could be a lot of wonderings at the same time)
- Interesting would be to see if students could then craft a math problem out of what Annie did.
- Interesting would be to show students the problem and have conversations about how they might do it.
Another idea instead of displaying the two paragraphs would be to say, “I’m going to read you a story.” Read the first paragraph and ask “What did you hear?” Read the second paragraph and ask “What did you hear?” And then, perhaps display the two paragraphs to do a “Noticing/Wondering” activity.
If you try this idea of using either student solutions or our solutions from the Packet, please leave a comment to tell your story. What did you notice as your worked with your students? What did you wonder?
- The problem [requires a Math Forum PoW Membership].
- Information about accessing “Baking Blackberries″ (and all our current PoWs) for two weeks with a free Math Forum trial account.
- Information about becoming a Math Forum Problems of the Week Member. Compare prices – consider starting with a $25 membership giving you access to all of this year’s Current PoWs — and you can create 36 student logins as well!