Meeting with the DLC Tutors
5:00 - 7:00 July 14,
- Part I: Online Mentoring (about 30 minutes)
- Learning Goals: Identifying the key mathematics to connect to, and learning specific
ways to ask about it.
- Overall Description: We will examine four samples of student work, two
from Function Challenge and two from Car Rental Quandary. We will discuss how to respond to
students in a way that will lead to the most effective revisions.
- Part II: Suporting problem solving strategies (about 1.5
- Learning Goals: Getting every problem solving strategy heard. Supporting
the students as they suggest various strategies to solve a problem. Learning ways to anticipate and identify strategies.
Description: We will facilitate two problem solving sessions for Snowy Driveway and Making
Triangles. Each tutor will choose to play the role of a student who is presenting her/him with a
certain challenge (for example, a student who is always ahead of the group.)
- Interpretating the Problem:
- Read the problem for 2 minutes.
- Discuss your
undrstanding of what's happening in the problem.
- Ask questions such as: What do we know?-
I don't understand - I am not clear about - Is it always the same amount of..
- Discussing Problem Solving Strategies:
- Think about a strategy to solve the
problem and name it.
- Pair with another tutor who named the same strategy to work on
solving the problem.
- We will have a group check every few minutes to see how everyone is
progressing following their own strategy.
- Wrap up: Getting ready for our weekly supplementary session.
- Problem Selection for Week 4
- Math 100
- ***3308: Snowy Driveway
- 3040: Count Your Change
- 2824: Three Consecutive
- Math 110
- ***3136: Making Triangles
- 3700: Ancestors
- DLC Summer 2008 Wiki
- Contact Us
- Steve, Suzanne, Mai and
© 1994- Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.