BACK TO CONTENTS

by Stacey Bearden

April, 1999

Date: Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 01:06:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Stacey Bearden  stacey@mathforum.org
To: All Dr. Math Doctors
Subject: Dr. Math in April

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Ask Dr. Math Newsletter
April, 1999
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Greetings, math doctors. The following is a tremendously late,
well-overdue newsletter. With the end of the college academic year,
I've been a bit crazy, so please accept my apologies for not getting
this out sooner.

Welcome, New Math Doctors! New docs for the month of April are
Doctors Wilson and Jeff.

Stats for April:
***************************
5339 -- incoming questions
1687 -- answered questions
32% -- percent answered
***************************

Tip of the Month:
**************************
April Tip:  Remember that friendliness makes all the difference.
Be sure to start out your responses with a greeting to the student.
Examples are "Dear Bob," "Well, Lucy, that's an interesting question,"
or "Hi! Thanks for writing to Dr. Math." Your closing can be friendly
too.  You might encourage the student to write back for more help or
information, and/or wish him or her luck. A friendly tone throughout
the response makes it nicer as well.
*************************

And now, some extra special thank you notes...

**********
For Dr. Karen:
Hi Dr. Math,
Thank you for helping me. I will be e-mailing you more in the future.
Thanks a lot!     : )

**************************
For Dr. Tom:
WOW. You make it sound so easy. Thank you for putting me on the right
track! I sure feel a lot better, your valuable time has not been wasted,
and I am on my way!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!

**************************
For Dr. Anthony:
I just want to say thank you for your assistance in helping me
solve some of the most difficult math problems I have encountered in
my career. At the University where I study, there are few people who
know the math as well as you and even if they do, they do not care to
help others. It is a joyful experience to have people like you who are
professional and willing to help. Today, I thank God for you!

**************************
For Dr. Jaime:
Thank you for spending the time helping me out. I really appreciate it
and think my paper on Egyptian symbols will be better because of
what you did.

**************************
For Dr. Rick:
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I am very
thankful for individuals like yourselves being willing to provide a
resource like this for our children.

**************************
For Dr. Jeremiah:
I do not know where to send a thank you but I want to anyway. I think
that Dr. Math is a wonderful resource for anyone. I am very surprised
at how quickly I received a response from Dr. Jeremiah. THANK YOU SO
MUCH! I had sent a question once before and I was never replied to
but this time I was. Thank you again, and keep up the good work! I
would recomend this site to anyone! GOOD WORK GUYS! THANK YOU!

**************************
For Dr. Wilkinson:
Thank you very much! This will help me out a lot! You must know
everything...  =)

and there were many more. I'll be sending them all to the docs within
a few days. Enjoy!

Well, that's it for April. Look for the May newsletter in a couple of
weeks, and enjoy the remainder of this beautiful month!

Dr. Stacey
Doctor Math Administrator
The Math Forum
BACK TO CONTENTS