BACK TO CONTENTS

by Ian Underwood

August, 2001

To: All Dr. Math Doctors
From: Ian Underwood
Subject: Ask Dr. Math in August

Hi Math Doctors,

I hope you've all had an interesting summer.  We've certainly had one
here at the Math Forum!

In the last newsletter (April), I announced that WebCT's support for
the Math Forum would end in May.  Today, I'm happy to be able to
forward to you the following announcement:

   The Math Forum, the nation's leading Web site for math and
   math education, has been acquired by Drexel University and
   is now known as The Math Forum@Drexel. The new address
   of the site is:

                      http://mathforum.org/

   Pointers from the previous addresses will seamlessly
   redirect you to the new location.

   Under the direction of Dr. Harvill Eaton, Drexel
   University's senior vice president for research and
   graduate studies, the University will maintain the Math
   Forum@Drexel site as the nation's premier mathematics
   resource. The site will continue to offer Math Forum@Drexel
   users all previous services, and will introduce new
   features and communities to ensure the site remains
   on the cutting edge.

   Drexel brings many strengths to the Math Forum: expertise
   in mathematics, information science and technology, and
   education, as well as a multidisciplinary team of faculty
   members and graduate students to serve as volunteers and
   content providers.

              http://www.drexel.edu/univrel/aboutdu/

   Drexel is Philadelphia's technological university and in
   1983 was the first in the nation to require all students
   to have a personal computer. In 2000, Drexel became the
   first major university to operate a fully wireless
   CyberCampus.

   To keep you updated on developments, I invite you to visit:

                      http://mathforum.org/

   Thank you for your support of the Math Forum. Drexel looks
   forward to continuing to provide you with the latest
   mathematics information and technology. If you have any
   questions, please feel free to e-mail me at
   papadakis@drexel.edu.

   Sincerely,
   Constantine Papadakis
   President
   Drexel University

Note that along with the change in location (from Swarthmore to
Drexel) and URL (from mathforum.org to mathforum.org), we've changed
our status back to a not-for-profit organization.  If you're one of
the math doctors who stopped writing answers when the Math Forum was
acquired by WebCT, I hope you'll consider coming aboard again.  We can
certainly use your help, especially now that students are heading back
to school.

One thing not mentioned in the release is that the site has been
ported to new application and database servers, which will be coming
on-line as soon as we have some final bugs worked out.  (We had
planned to complete this port sooner, but other things--like having
to find a new home!--came up.)

Some improvements have already been made to the Dr. Math office on the
new servers, and others should come along at a much faster pace than
previously, since many of the quirks that made development difficult
on the old servers have been eliminated on the new ones.

Welcome to new interns Dr. Ichirro, Dr. Evander, Dr. Sarge, and
Dr. Chad; and congratulations to newly tenured Dr. Jubal.

That's the news for now.  Go forth, be fruitful, and teach kids to
multiply...

Dr. Ian
Attending Physician
Ask Dr. Math