BACK TO CONTENTS

by Ian Underwood

December, 2000

To: All Dr. Math Doctors
From: Ian Underwood
Subject: Ask Dr. Math in December

Hi Math Doctors,

I just finished compiling the statistics for December, and they look
like this:

                        Dec   Nov   Oct   Sep
                        ----  ----  ----  ----
  Questions asked:      5874  8253  9023  8330
  Questions answered:   2750  3082  2447  1821
  Percent answered:     46.8  37.3  27.1  21.0

While it's no surprise that the number of questions dropped around
Christmas, it's a very pleasant surprise that even with a week-long
holiday at the end of the month, we managed to answer more questions
in December than we did in October!

The big question is whether the percentage of questions answered for
the month (46.8) represents an anomaly, or is part of a long-term
trend.  I guess we won't know the answer to that until next month.
But as Alan Kay likes to point out, the best way to predict the future
is to invent it!

Special thanks
--------------

As always, thanks go to every doctor who answered even one question
during December.  But I'd like to extend a special thank-you this month
to the following doctors:

  * Drs. Ezra and Pat for averaging one or more answers per day;

  ** Dr. Alicia for averaging two or more answers per day;

  *** Drs. Aileen, Anthony, Douglas, Fenton, Floor, Jaffee, Jerry,
      Mitteldorf, Rick, and Shawn for averaging three or more answers
      per day;

  ***** Drs. Roy and Schwa for averaging five or more answers
        per day; and

  **....*** Drs. Greenie, Peterson, Rob, and Robert, who together
            accounted for nearly a third of the answers that went
            out this month!