BACK TO CONTENTS

by Ian Underwood

January, 2003

To: All Dr. Math Doctors
From: Ian Underwood
Subject: Ask Dr. Math in January

Hi Math Doctors,

We're off to a flying start in 2003.  Of the 6338 questions that came in
during January, we were able to answer 3636, or about 57%.

More than 30 math doctors contributed answers this month, with
special thanks going to the following:

 20/day |

        | Peterson

 15/day |

 10/day | Robert
        | Tom
        |
        | Rick
        | Greenie, Roy, Jerry
  5/day | Anthony, Kastner
        | Fenton, Wilkinson
        | Douglas, Edwin
        | Jacques, Jeremiah
        | Floor, Mike, Mitteldorf, Paul, Rob, Schwa
        /
  1/wk  | Achilles, Mihir, Nitrogen, Pat, Pepper, Pete,
          Shawn, White, Wigton

Welcome to new math doctors Marshall and Hydrogen. And congratulations
to newly tenured Doctors Edwin and Jacques.

Speaking of which, one of our priorities in the near future is to increase
the number of active math doctors.  To that end, we've set up an online
tutorial,

  http://legacy.mathforum.org/volunteer/dr.math/signup.html

that potential volunteers can use to get a sense for what kinds of things
we're looking for in an answer, and whether Ask Dr. Math is a good match
for their skills and temperaments.

The tutorial starts by offering a list of sample questions.  The
applicant selects one and answers it.  Then the tutorial offers a
series of suggestions for possible revisions.  The final answer is
forwarded to us, and we contact the applicant with further
instructions.

Of course, you should all feel free to go through the tutorial if you
want.  Or, if you'd rather just look through the content, you can browse
it at

  http://legacy.mathforum.org/volunteer/dr.math/1/review.html

In either case, I'd love to get feedback on any and all aspects of the
tutorial: mechanics, content, sample questions, appearance, or
anything else you'd like to comment on.

Also, from time to time, we get messages in triage from people who want
to volunteer.  I've added an item ('Volunteer') to the Canned Responses
menu, which anyone can use to direct a potential volunteer to the
tutorial immediately, rather than making him wait until an administrator
finds the message.

That's it for January!  Go forth, be fruitful, and teach kids to
multiply...

Dr. Ian
Attending Physician
Ask Dr. Math