BACK TO CONTENTS

by Ian Underwood

July, 2003

To: All Dr. Math Doctors
From: Ian Underwood
Subject: Ask Dr. Math in July

Hi Math Doctors,

In July, the number of contributors remained high, at more than 40.
We averaged 147 questions and 90 answers per day, which means we were
able to answer 61% of the questions we received.

Special thanks go to the following:

 Avg/
 day

 15 |

    | Peterson

 10 |

    | Fenton
  5 | Anthony, Roy
    | Douglas, Jaffee, Jeremiah, Jerry
    | Chita, George, Greenie, Jacques, Rick, Rob
    | Achilles, Shawn, Tom
    | Beryllium, Dotty, Mike, Mitteldorf, Paul, Robert, Wilkinson
    /
 1/ | Barrus, Edwin, Floor, Jubal, Nitrogen, Pepper, Pete,
 wk | Samus, Stephanie, White

Welcome to new Math Doctors Stephanie, Doodles, and Mario.
And congratulations to newly tenured Doctor Warren!

Ask Dr. Math Books
------------------

As most of you know by now, just over two years ago The Math Forum
contracted with John Wiley & Sons to produce a series of books based
on question and answers in the Ask Dr. Math archive.  The first of
those books is about to hit the shelves!

(You can read about the books here:

  http://mathforum.org/pubs/dr.mathbooks.html

We also have an acknowledgments page,

  http://mathforum.org/pubs/dr.math.acknowledge.html

which answers questions that you may have about the books, including
whether any of your own answers were used.)

These will be followed by at least two more books dealing with
geometry, and then we'll see where it leads after that.

Perhaps this will support some of the costs for keeping this program
running, but more likely it will just help others get some benefit
from this terrific service.

At this point, we're not sure how publicity for the books will be
handled, but in order to be prepared for any eventuality, if any of
you have experience appearing on television or radio, please contact
me with the details.

I'll close with a couple of thank-you's.  The first is from a patient
to all of us:

    Terrific to have a place to go and discourse, inquire, learn
    and play!  I've added you to my (limited) favorites.

    Also:  wonderful rate of response; nice not to have to wait more
    than a quick-bit for a reply.  Another wonderful Dr. Math
    approach:
    offering solutions, not answers.

    I'm sure I'll be back!

The second is from me to all of you.  I just realized that I've been
Attending Physician at Ask Dr. Math for three years now!  To be
associated with something this cool, and with so many talented and
generous people, is like a dream.  Thanks to all of you for making it
possible.  I hope I don't wake up anytime soon.

That's it for now!  Go forth, be fruitful, and teach kids to
multiply...

Dr. Ian
Attending Physician
Ask Dr. Math