BACK TO CONTENTS

by Sonya Del Tredici

June, 1998

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:41:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sonya Del Tredici <sonya@mathforum.org>
To: All Dr. Math Doctors
Subject: Doctor Math in June

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Doctor Math in June
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hello Math Doctors, and welcome to the real first month of summer! Even
if you're not on the U.S. public school calendar, you may have noticed a
drop in questions in Triage. As soon as summer school kicks in, though,
we're sure to see quite a bit of action.  And speaking of action, here is
the quantitative evaluation of Doctor Math for the month of June:

     Questions Asked: 2250
  Questions Answered: 1200
    Percent answered:  53%

As you can all see, we received many fewer questions this month than we
have all school year.

Our recruiting efforts continue to pay off, and we have 13 new
volunteers: Doctors Ameis, Shipman, Kadee, Christine, Minnie, Erra,
Stuart, Floor, Kimberly, Shala, Margaret, Tchen, and Becky.

I also wanted to give special thanks to several folks who have gone above
and beyond the call of duty when it comes to Doctor Math. They are the
ones who keep us running, from the coldest bleakest Februarys to the warm
and hectic days of finals, and they've written about half of the answers
that went out this past month. Some have been with us since the service
began, and others have just joined. They are Doctors Anthony, Jeremiah,
Jerry, Pat, Peterson, Rob, Schwa, and Wilkinson.  All of us administrators
thank you very much.

Not having a consistent theme for this little newsletter, I thought this
month I'd just talk a bit about who you all are. You see, in my mind "The
Math Doctors" are a cohesive group of people, many of whom I correspond
with almost every day. However, I know that you don't know each other, so
I thought I'd do some introductions. To begin to get to know the
wonderful group that you are part of, take a look at some of the Math
Doctors' Web pages. Some are very personal (check out the great picture
on Dr. Nick's page), and some are very professional (look at Dr. Terrel's
math pages). You can get a list of all usernames and real names with Web
pages at:

   http://mathforum.org/dr.office/list_doct.pl

From an unscientifically unrandom sample of Math Doctors, I found out the
following facts. As you may have guessed, many of us are present and
former Swarthmore students, as well as undergraduates and graduates at
the University of Arkansas, U.C. San Marcos, Brigham Young, U. Chicago,
Bates, Cornell, Oakland U. (in Michigan), Princeton, Miami U., and Essex
University (in England), just to name a few.

We are also college and university professors. My sample revealed
professors at the U. of Manitoba, Swarthmore, Virginia Tech, Ewha Womans
University in Korea, the U.S. Naval Academy, Harvard, and Middlesex
Community College in Massachusetts.

We are elementary and high school teachers from Ohio, New York,
Tennessee, California, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, and Texas, as
well as high school students from all over.

Those from my sample not working in schools identified themselves as
software developers, mothers of 6 (actually, there was only one mother of
6), chemists, electrical engineers, and physicists.

We are also an international crowd, logging on from Denmark, Japan,
Germany, El Salvador, France, England, Singapore, Korea, and India.

I want to keep this newsletter short, so I am going to stop there. I do
encourage you to look each other up. If you see an answer in Post-Op that
particularly interests you, write the author to discuss it. If you
notice one doctor's brilliant number theory answers, write her about that
really interesting question on Fibonacci that no one has gotten around to
answering. You math doctors are the most important thing Doctor Math
has, with an incredible depth and breadth of talents, and I don't want to
be the only one who gets to take advantage of that.

As I always have, I'll end this letter with some thank-you notes.  Have a
lovely July, everyone.

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--

Hey,

I don't know who answered my last question but I wanted to thank you
all for the wonderful job that you did. The information that you all
gave to me has helped me out a lot and I am sure that you all have helped
many others. I just wanted to say thank you all and keep
up the good work.
   Thank you,
               Jennifer

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--

I Just think with this program a lot of kids can boost up their grades by
getting help. Like if they're having trouble, if they're failing, or just not
paying attention, and they have a question, they can ask you and know
they will get great results, I should try to start like a little thing for
ages 5 to 10 or something, you have inspired kids and I know you can
help!  You're great. Thanx for listening.

--Sonya Del Tredici
  The Math Forum
  sonya@mathforum.org

BACK TO CONTENTS