BACK TO CONTENTS

by Ian Underwood

March, 2002

To: All Dr. Math Doctors
From: Ian Underwood
Subject: Ask Dr. Math in March

Hi Math Doctors,

On average, we received 263 questions per day, and answered 130 of
them - just a skooch less than half.  However, we answered 4044
questions, which is the first time we've broken the 4000 mark!

The number of math doctors who contributed during March was 29.
Thanks to all of you, with special thanks to the following:

 20/day   |

          | Peterson

  15/day  |

  10/day  |

          | Rick

   5/day  | Jeremiah, Twe
          | Anthony, Douglas, Jerry, Mitteldorf, Paul, Roy, Schwa
          | Fenton, Jubal, Shawn
          | Floor, Pete, Tim, Tom
   1/day  | Achilles, Greenie, Jodi, Wilkinson
          /
   1/wk   | Rob, White

Welcome to new math doctors Jean and Meyer.

New archive format
------------------

We're in the process of integrating the Dr. Math archives with the
rest of the Math Forum's Internet Mathematics Library.  When the
changes are final, the current Browse-By-Level pages will be replaced
with the following pages:

   http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.elem.html
   http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.middle.html
   http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.high.html
   http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.college.html

Things to notice:

  1.  The topic categories are more descriptive, and less coarse.

  2.  When you browse a topic, the list of answers under that topic is
      returned as a series of pages, rather than as one long page.

  3.  From a browsing page, you now have the option of searching
      within a particular category, or across the entire archive.

  4.  Each browsing page contains the hierarchy for the corresponding
      level (e.g., Elementary) in the left-hand margin; and each
      individual answer page contains a search form at the bottom.
      Ideally, these should reduce the amount of backing-and-forthing
      required to find what you're looking for.

  5.  The individual answer pages now have multiple back-links, i.e.,
      if an answer is categorized in more than one way, you can get
      to any of those categories by following a link at the bottom of
      the page.

  6.  The URLs of the individual items have changed, from the format

        http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/miller10.12.96.html

      to the format

      If you have a list of URLs in the old format that you like to
      paste into answers, don't worry; references to the old URLs will
      be forwarded to the library, so they'll still work.

If you've got some extra time, I encourage you to take a look at these
new pages.  We're still tweaking them before making the final switch,
so we welcome any feedback that you care to give us.

That's it for March!  Go forth, be fruitful, and teach kids to
multiply...

Dr. Ian
Attending Physician
Ask Dr. Math