BACK TO CONTENTS

by Sonya Del Tredici

March, 1998

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:35:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Sonya Del Tredici  sonya@mathforum.org
To: All Dr. Math Doctors
Subject: Doctor Math in March

======================
Doctor Math Newsletter
======================
Vol. 3, No. 1415
======================

Hello Math Doctors!  I hope everyone is having as nice a transition to
spring as we are having here in Pennsylvania.  It's been absolutely
gorgeous, and I've been itching to leave this computer behind and run
around outside.

Here are our stats for the month of March.  We received about 4000
questions this month, 1400 of which we answered.  That's about 400 more
than in February, and I'm really pleased.

The "prolific" awards this month go to Doctors Wolf, Wilkinson, Sam, Rob,
Jerry, Hauke, Anthony, Allan, and Melissa, for answering about 900
questions between them.  Thank you all so much!

We gained 12 math doctors this month: Mycyk, Eli, Timothy, Maureen,
Morrell, Koehler, Ford, Barb, Stacey, Barrus, Amanda, and Ujjwal.  I won't
tell you which ones (wouldn't want to blow their cover!), but four of them
are high school students, and have been doing a really fabulous job.
Welcome to you all.

We have a new archivist working with us now.  Her name is YingJie (Dr.
Elizabeth) Li, and she's been sorting through all of the answers that are
written, choosing which ones to put in the archives.  One of my favorite
new answers that she's found was written by Doctor Mark.  It's  a great
number-theoretical answer about division, in the elementary school
fractions section.  The URL is:

  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/gustafson11.25.97.html

Another addition to our reference section is a great new site Dr. Rob has
found for us.  It's called "Plouffe's Inverter", and is an incredible
reference for finding mathematical constants.  The URL is:

  http://www.lacim.uqam.ca/pi/

It's also now a link on the Dr. Math FAQ, so you can get to it easily.

Many Members of the Math Forum will be at the NCTM (National Council of
Teachers of Mathematics) Conference in Washington DC this week.  We're
doing a kind of conference within a conference on Friday the 3rd, and our
very own Ken is going to give some kind of presentation on Doctor Math.
He tells me that the tentative title is, "The Eco-Semantic Challenges of
the Dr. Math Electric Dreamboat" but he may still change it. :-) If any of
you are planning to attend, we'd love to meet you.

Well, that's about all the Doctor Math gossip I can think of.  I'll sign
off with some of the brief yet glowing thank-you notes we've received.

*****
Being here in Argentina and teaching our kids (13 & 6) has been tough to
say the least. Your information has been tremendously helpful and I just
wanted to thank all of you who make it possible. Grateful in San Nicolas
Argentina, B. Reeves

*****
Wow, I just found out about your web site and thought I would give it a
tried.  I'm very impressed.  Please keep up the good work.  Thanks.
-Kevin.

*****
Thank you so much of helping me with that problem, i really
appreciate it. You just helped me pass my math class.
Thanks,
Mario

*****
Thank you for taking the time to answer our question, and so
quickly, too! May blessings rain down upon your head all the rest of your
days... Seriously, we are very appreciative; your site is a wonderful idea,
with excellent execution.

*****
Just wanted to thank you for the unbelievably clear explanation of
rational exponents; it far surpassed anything in any of the texts I had
used.  Thank you again for putting such effort into these explanations.

*****
Thank you Dr. Math.  You have saved my day...

I would like to thank you too, for volunteering your skills and your time
to Dr. Math.

Sincerely,
Sonya Del Tredici
The Math Forum