BACK TO CONTENTS

by Ian Underwood

September, 2002

To: All Dr. Math Doctors
From: Ian Underwood
Subject: Ask Dr. Math in September

Hi Math Doctors,

School is definitely back in session.

In September, we received 7052 questions (about 235 per day), of which
we answered 3541 (about 118 per day, or just over 50%).  Comparing
this month with last month,

                Asked      Ans'd
            +---------------------
  August    |  *3525*      2042

  September |   7052      *3541*

it appears that _answered_ more questions in September than we
_received_ during all of August.  Does anyone have any thoughts about
that?  If so, I'd love to hear them.

About 35 math doctors contributed answers in September, nearly 20 of
whom averaged more than a question per day:

  15/day  |
          | Peterson

  10/day  |

          | Greenie
          | Fenton
          | Jerry, Mitteldorf
   5/day  | Anthony
          | Rick
          | Douglas, Roy
          | Floor, Jeremiah, Robert, Shawn, Wilkinson
   1/day  | Jody, Paul, Mike, Nitrogen, Schwa
          /
   1/wk   | Achilles, Ameis, Guido, Jaime, Pat, Pete, Ricca,
            Wallace, White, Wilson, Twe

Thanks to all of you... and welcome to new Math Doctors Kausha, Ricca,
and Pepper!

Dr. Achilles has contributed the second entry - "A Crash Course in
Symbolic Logic" - to the "Essays on Mathematics" section of the FAQ.

A couple of minor changes have been made to the Clinic interface.  The
first is really a bug fix: You can now actually _get_ a listing of all
the answers that you've marked with checkmarks (where before you could
ask for one, but couldn't get it).  In addition, you can now get a
listing of answers that have been marked (by anyone) with a thumbs up
or a thumbs down.

My hope in adding this second feature is that if you can't find an
interesting question to answer near the top of the queue, you'll go
ahead and take a look at older questions that have been singled out as
worth answering.  In many cases, these represent opportunities to fill
holes in the archive.

Finally, our archivists have two messages they would like to pass on
to all of you.  The first is: Thanks for writing so many great
answers!  The archive is now up to 8400 items.  The second is: Don't
be afraid to suggest that your better answers be considered for
archiving.  We no longer have someone combing through post-op in order
to pick out the best answers.  So don't be shy.

That's it for September!  Go forth, be fruitful, and teach kids to
multiply...

Dr. Ian
Attending Physician
Ask Dr. Math