Jack Kent Cooke Award
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation has named the Math Forum @ Drexel one of five winners in a national grant competition of 350 applicants. With the Foundation's $150,000 award, the Math Forum will engage 100 low- to moderate-income 9th and 10th graders in its existing online mathematics community.
Numbers Line Up for Once-in-a-Century Moment
The "chronological oddity" 01:02:03 04/05/06 occurred Wednesday, but it suggests many mathematical investigations suitable for students, such as:
- When did this last occur?
- How often does it occur?
- When will it occur next?
Latin Americans write this short-hand timestamp in reverse order, so a similar phenomenon was observed in Latin America at 1 second after 3:02 A.M: 06/05/04 03:02:01.
Besides the math-learn archive noted above, these groups are having similar discussions:
Free Ruler is a free screen ruler for Mac OS X with the following features:
- A horizontal and vertical ruler which can be used independently or simultaneously
- Measurement in pixels, inches, picas, or centimeters
- Automatic alignment of rulers
- The ability to group rulers and move them around as a unit
- Shadowless rulers with customizable transparency
- Interactive tick marks which follow the mouse location for more precise measurement
- Independent resizing of rulers, from 200 pixels to 5000 pixels in length
- Single key shortcuts for most ruler functions
- Conversion assistant to set ruler resolution based on screen size and resolution
- Unit converter utility for converting numbers between different units of measure
Mathematics Awareness Month (MAM) - April 2006
Mathematics Awareness Month provides the mathematical sciences community with opportunities for promoting the importance and versatility of mathematics, and its relationships to our daily lives. The theme of MAM 2006 is Mathematics and Internet Security.
View these pages on their new site:
Sample Press Release
Submit Your Activity
- General Information