Errors with Math Forum Discussions
Over the weekend, our discussion software began to struggle with recurring errors that we have failed to resolve ourselves. Many thousands of messages -- including the Forum's own internal staff correspondence -- remain back-logged in limbo.
Thank you for your patience as we resolve this problem.
Math for America
Math for America (MfA) was founded in 2004 with a mission to improve math education in the United States. Use the links in the top navigation bar to view their resources, organized under:
- Newton Fellowship
- Recruiting and training mathematically-talented individuals to become outstanding math teachers in public high schools.
- Newton Master Teacher
- Rewarding exceptional high school math teachers who are currently working in New York City with a four-year, $50,000 Fellowship.
- Teaching Math Resources
- Math Education Resources
- Activities and Lesson Plans
- Skills Practice and Worksheets
- Virtual Manipulatives
- Games and Challenges
- Technology-specific Sites
- Conferences and Workshops
- National Legislation
- Research & Public Policy
The brainchild of mathematician and investment banker Jim Simons, Math for America also offers seminars and a quarterly newsletter on the events and people at MfA, as well as articles on current research in math education and teaching and interviews with math education experts.
The site features an online discussion forum, and organizes a selection of third party resources, including of educational podcasts.
Summer Program for Women in Mathematics
The Summer Program for Women in Mathematics is entering its thirteenth year of educating mathematically talented undergraduate women who are completing their junior year and may be contemplating graduate study in mathematical sciences.
Now through March 1, 2007, this George Washington University program is accepting applications for its five-week intensive program, June 30 to August 4, 2007.
Sixteen women will be selected. Each will receive a travel allowance, campus room and board, and a stipend of $1,500. Due to restrictions of the funding agency, only US citizens or permanent residents of the US can be supported.
For further information, please contact the director, Professor Murli M. Gupta (email@example.com, 202-994-4857) and/or visit the web site.
Make NUMB3RS Count for You!
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), working in association with CBS and Texas Instruments, has created an educational outreach program promoting the many uses of mathematics and supporting math teaching.
NUMB3RS resources are organized under the following categories:
- NUMB3RS: Related Activities
- Attention MTMS Subscribers
- Order a NUMB3RS Poster Today
- More on Class Activities and NUMB3RS
- NUMB3RS: Behind the Blackboard
- Keep NUMB3RS Going and on DVD
- President Announces NUMB3RS Activities
- NUMB3RS Press Release
Also view these related sites:
NUMB3RS on CBS
We All Use Math Every Day