In This Issue
Mentors of the MathMentor
Mentors of the MathMentor
The MathMentor, a new program at the Math Forum @ Drexel and sponsored by the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, is looking for mentors interested in expanding students' career aspirations while helping them develop interest in math, science and technology.
Visit the webpage noted above to find responses to these questions:
- Is the MathMentor what you are looking for?
- What are examples of what you can do as a mentor?
- What type of training is provided to the mentors?
- When does the MathMentor program take place?
- How long are the mentors expected to participate?
- Is there monetary compensation for participating?
- Who are the students participating in the MathMentor?
- How can you apply?
Danica McKellar, the author of the book for middle school
girls titled Math Doesn't Suck: How to Survive Middle School Math without Losing your Mind or Breaking a Nail, has a web site where you can:
- View her recent 20/20 segment, which features not only her acting career, but her love of math, too!
- Read about McKellar's voice-over for the math-themed PBS cartoon Cyberchase.
- Watch clips of the WB's cartoon series Static Shock, for which she speaks the part of character Frieda Goren.
- Request and read math tutoring from the woman who, as a child, acted the role of Winnie Cooper in the television sitcom The Wonder Years, and who today serves as spokesperson for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Math-a-Thon and Figure This!
- Download a PDF of "Percolation and Gibbs states multiplicity or ferromagnetic Ashkin-Teller models on Z2," the research she co-authored as an undergraduate math major at UCLA.
- See press about her testimony before Congress and other math and education advocacy work.
Joyce Frost, a member of the Math Forum community, writes
"Sharing math songs with students can be a nice ice-breaker in your classes. Here are a few of my favorites that have made the rounds with math educators and are available on YouTube."
What You Know About Math
Ma and Pa Kettle Do Math
Abbott and Castello Math Problem
Finite Simple Group (of Order Two)
This newsletter is provided as a service of The Math Forum, an online educational community for mathematics hosted by Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA.
You're receiving this e-mail because you are subscribed to the newsletter. This is a recurring mailing. You have the option to receive
this newsletter in either html or plain text formats. To unsubscribe from future mailings, change your subscription, or browse all newsletters, please see our newsletter web archive.
The Math Forum is also home to Ask Dr. Math, Problems of the Week,
MathTools, Teacher2Teacher, the Internet Math Library, math discussion groups, and over 1,000,000 pages of mathematics information and discussions.
is a sponsor of
the Math Forum