"Mosaic" Teacher Support
Mosaic is no longer the current ESCOT Problem of the Week. The student version allows teachers to use the problem with their students without giving the students access to the archived answers. Teachers can use the link to the archived problem to get ideas of student thinking.
Mosaic allows students to create designs using different colors and lengths of fraction blocks. Students are also asked to approximate the area of a non-standard shape using fraction blocks.
If you have something to share with us as you use any of the links or suggestions on this page (something you tried and changed or a new idea), we would love to hear from you. Please email us.
Alignment to the NCTM Standards - Grades 6-8
- work flexibly with fractions to solve problems
- use common benchmarks to select appropriate methods for estimating measurements;
- select and apply techniques and tools to accurately find area to appropriate levels of precision
- solve problems that arise in mathematics and in other contexts
- communicate mathematical thinking coherently and clearly to peers, teachers, and others
- use the language of mathematics to express mathematical ideas precisely
- recognize and apply mathematics in contexts outside of mathematics
- How to Measure Area
- ExplorA-Pond: 5th Grade Surface Area - Brandon Thacker
- The Great Cover Up! - New Zealand Maths Measurement
- Stage 3: Non-Standard units - New Zealand Maths