Please keep in mind that this is a research project, and there may sometimes be glitches with the interactive software. Please
let us know of any problems you encounter, and include the computer operating system, the browser and version you're using, and what kind of connection you have (dial-up modem, T1, cable).
It's the year 2075. You take a vacation to the planet Orange. When
you arrive, you notice coins of three different shapes: squares,
circles, triangles. Unfortunately, no one speaks your language,
and you're hungry. You find a food vending machine, but the prices
are worn off! You have to try different combinations of coins to
get food, and in addition, you will be able to figure out the
relations between the coins.
- Buy a package of zoogs. What are the fewest number and types
of coins needed to purchase a package of zoogs using exact change?
- Which coin is worth the least, and how many of it does it take to
equal each of the other coins?
- How many of the least valuable coins would it take to buy a
package of zoogs?
- Buy a package of Glorps. What are the fewest number and types
of coins needed to purchase a package of Glorps using exact change?
How many of the least valuable coins would it take to buy a package
- Another Earthling arrives on the next shuttle and wants to try
some Mushniks. Explain how you figured out the relations between
- What are the fewest number and types of coins needed to purchase
a package of Mushniks using exact change?
If you would like to practice this puzzle with different values,
go to our practice page. These puzzles are for practice --
you will not submit your solutions to the Math Forum. Enjoy!