The Math Forum

Topic: Coin Flipping Question ?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Nov 8, 2016 9:36 PM

Virgil

Re: Coin Flipping Question ?

In article <nvsock$ubi$1@dont-email.me>, Bob <rgsros@notme.invalid>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Have always been bothered by this.
> Would appreciate it if someone could explain it for me.
>
> I know that what I am defining as the experiment is not practical in the
> "real world," but let me define the following anyway, as the conditions:
>
> I have a few thousand "discs"
> They are absolutely identical, down to the atomic level.
> Each side has a thin coating of something; one side red, one side blue.
>
> The coatings are also identical; same thickness, absorbency, etc.
>
> So the resultant coins are absolutely identical.
> In every way.
>
> I now have a mechanical gadget that flips each one, again identically.
> Same velocity, momentum, etc., etc. imparted.
> Absolutely identical flipping motion imparted for each one.
>
> There are no outside influences, other than gravity.
> No air currents, solar wind or pressure, etc.
> Nothing.
>
> Will I see the typical 50 % - 50 % split ?
> (For this case by colors,rather than heads/tails)

Not necessarily, as quantum effects in otherwise identical experiments
are known to produce differing results.

> Why ?

Quantum effects!

> e.g., must there be "some" incremental outside influence, or...?

Only if you regard quantum effects as being outside effects.

--
Virgil
"Mit der Dummheit kampfen Gotter selbst vergebens." (Schiller)