The Math Forum

Topic: Re: Integrating Computer Science in Math: The Potential Great,
Risks Great

Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 2, 2017 1:57 AM

kirby urner

Re: Integrating Computer Science in Math: The Potential Great, Risks Great
att1.html (3.1 K)

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 12:30 PM, David Powell <ivanhamlin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Surely you have to integrate the math with computer science as long as the
> programming leads with same logics as math as. A programmer can be good in
> writing code if s/he is already master in maths or having interest.

We should be more concrete. On a scale of zero to ten, how many curriculum
hours should be spent on Unicode as a topic?

(a) None in math class, Unicode is exclusively a CS topic. If your school
has no CS, you live in a slum, so too bad for you.
(b) Unicode is a Communications Arts topic, nothing to do with numeric
literacy, stop confusing the two!
(c) What's Unicode?
(d) Unicode is a communist plot and should never be talked about in Texas
(e) 1-2 hours (it's how the languages of the world get encoded these days)
(f) 2-4 hours (seriously, it's an important topic)
(g) more than 4 hours (lets not go overboard)
(h) none of the above, you forgot to say how many curriculum hours per what
time interval? Per day? Per year?

OK, so (h) is the correct answer, but you catch my drift.

Right now, Common Core is saying only base 10 algorithms and indeed only
base 10 shall be discussed.

But you can't really discuss base 10 without contrasting it with other
bases.

So the mandate "no bases other than 10" really means "don't let them know
it's base 10, or just say it really quickly".

However if the school is even flirting with the notion that math = math +
CS, then not only will we have non-numeric functions (gasp) but bases other
than 10 i.e. hex.

Such heresy is unlikely do gain approval from strict school boards. We all
know what adults are like: if it's not what they remember getting tested
on, it must be of the devil ("hex" is a dead giveaway -- it's called "hex"
for crying out loud).

What we're finding in Portland is young women tend to be more serious about
learning to code at a younger age, so forming small "covens" and sending
the boys off to play mindless computer games, may give us the the greatest
return. Just kidding. The computer games are not that mindless (come and
see).

Kirby