The Math Forum

Topic: A very good website with apps for teaching fractions
Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 4, 2017 12:23 PM

kirby urner

Re: A very good website with apps for teaching fractions
att1.html (1.7 K)

When it comes to fractions, it's a good idea to keep 3D (printable) volumes
in the picture.

In our Silicon Forest curriculum, we have a MITE (minimum tetrahedron) that
fills space (per Aristotle).

The MITE face-bonds with another MITE in three ways to give: Lite, Bite,
Rite (1/4)

These in turn combine to form Sytes: Kate, Kat, Kit. (1/2)

You'll find these all published (except for Kit) by Macmillan [1], with
plane nets (angles, edges) in late 1970s.

MITE volume = 1/24 so the rest are easy to compute. All are space-fillers,
though Lite and Kit are not tetrahedrons.

Sytes make the Coupler, an oblate octahedron famous from Archimedean
honeycomb duals (we can get to that later).

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2017/03/note-to-translators.html ( for ESL
courses )

Kirby

[1] http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/s09/figs/f86427.html (two