The Math Forum

Topic: Business Math?
Replies: 74   Last Post: May 6, 2017 4:32 PM

kirby urner

Re: Business Math?
att1.html (5.4 K)

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:09 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> Have we wandered far afield from Business Math
> as a vocational subject? I would argue not, as if you
> check the Martian Math materials you'll find plenty of
> coding is involved, moving from MIT Scratch, to Codesters,
> to full blown Python and Javascript, at which point
> HTML + CSS become involved, and SVG. Before you
> know it, you've got that first job out of high school, and
> an opportunity to start saving for college.
>
> Kirby

One of the first logical constructs the kids encounter,
is around 2nd grade. They get to play games that teach
about "do loops" (repeat these steps), which come back
in Algebra in connection with the Greek letter sigma.[1][2]
We also find them in music.

A few grades later, they've already had lots of experience
with an XY grid (2 dimensions) and also some XYZ (3
dimensions), spending ample time in MIT Scratch, then
moving to HTML, SVG and the canvas object, controlled
through JS (5th grade).

Some XY grids have an origin at the canvas center
(using "art terms" like canvas is embraced), whereas
SVG puts (0,0) in the upper left, more like the DOM
(document object model).

Students learn from many examples that one needs to
get clear on:

A) where's the origin?
B) what's the unit? (or gauge)
C) what's the orientation? (which way is "north" or "up"?)

Likewise, on this same topic, students learn to
control their cursor, turtle, avatar, self using both:

A) relative position ("forward 10")
B) absolute position ("move to -4, 14")

The SVG markup language contains a thorough
mini-language for controlling the path of any
pen, sprite or stroke using these Logo-like turtle
commands. These curves or paths may be the
output of plotting functions.[3]

The Martian Math angle is more about sparking
discussion and debate, giving students practice
verbalizing about all these computational concepts.
Our alternative not-XYZ coordinate system
(quadrays) and non-conventional model of 2nd
& 3rd powering (ala New England Transcendentalism)
provide anthropological distance and perspective
on "Earthing STEM" as if seen from a distance
(from Mars).[4][5]

Author: Kirby Urner works through Coding with
Kids to provide various after school programs
in Greater Portland. He used to be a high school
math teacher, and worked at McGraw-Hill on
computer literacy textbooks. He also provides
training in Python to IT professionals. He holds
a BA in Philosophy from Princeton University
where he worked under Richard Rorty on the
foundations of mathematics.

Footnotes:

[1] Early manifesto:
http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/overcome.html
https://studio.code.org/gallery

[2] https://studio.code.org/hoc/1
(I was using this yesterday with little coders)

Sigma implements both for loops and while
loops i.e. the notation describes both iterating
over a set e.g. natural numbers, and looping
while some condition is true, e.g i < N.

[3] Examples of SVG Code Pens, typical of
middle / junior / high school student portfolios:

Pentagon Math:
http://codepen.io/pdx4d/pen/OmPoOE

SVG Plots:
http://codepen.io/pdx4d/pen/ZKGagq

[4] re: the meaning of '4D' in Synergetics:

https://youtu.be/BWdJxcOICFc

(viewer discretion advised -- shows
weapons (maybe not OK in some
Quaker schools))

[5] MIT Scratch exhibit re Martian Math:

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2016/12/more-core.html

(to understand MM better, follow links in
the previous post to this math-teach thread)
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2852324

Date Subject Author
4/19/17
Read Business Math?