The Math Forum

Topic: Business Math?
Replies: 74   Last Post: May 6, 2017 4:32 PM

kirby urner

Re: Business Math?
att1.html (3.5 K)

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> "You don't seem to get that kids are coding these animations. We have 1st
> graders using repeat and forever loops."
>
> And 2nd graders with Mathematica are doing advanced math. I get it. My
> standards are just much higher than yours, when it comes to programming and
> the pedagogy behind it.

I haven't said a word about Mathematica in this thread. That's a red
herring. I have no idea why you're bringing it up.

> Lol, from the "About" page...
>
> "Scratch helps young people learn to think creatively, reason
> systematically, and work collaboratively ? essential skills for life in the
> 21st century."
>
> 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.

Kids struggle, work hard, on the programs. I watch them sweat.

Sitting on some high horse, judgemental and aloof, is actually not working
at all.

> That is like a newtonian law of life. It always seems to be education's
> view that we sit around all day, wondering. When they add the other 99% to
> scratch, or even 10% of the other 99%, give me a shout.:)
>
> Bob

These kids learning to code are getting ahead in life.

Controlling XY and XYZ positions, maybe getting a ball to bounce, or
getting graphs to plot in SVG... these involve core math skills.

https://flic.kr/p/U46xub (a codepen I'm working on for next week's class,
requires drawing a triangle, knowing about canvas coordinates versus
document coordinates). [1]

The pedagogy behind MIT Scratch impresses me as both serious and well
developed.

I find it somewhat amazing your ethnic bias is against such innovations.
I'm glad that psychology is not prevalent in my circles.

Kirby

[1]

Some XY grids have an origin at the canvas center
(using "art terms" like canvas is embraced), whereas
SVG puts (0,0) in the upper left, more like the DOM
(document object model).

Students learn from many examples that one needs to
get clear on:

A) where's the origin?
B) what's the unit? (or gauge)
C) what's the orientation? (which way is "north" or "up"?)

Likewise, on this same topic, students learn to
control their cursor, turtle, avatar, self using both:

A) relative position ("forward 10")
B) absolute position ("move to -4, 14")

Date Subject Author
4/19/17