The Math Forum

Topic: Business Math?
Replies: 74   Last Post: May 6, 2017 4:32 PM

kirby urner

Re: Business Math?
att1.html (2.7 K)

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 8:58 PM, Bishop, Wayne <
wbishop@exchange.calstatela.edu> wrote:

> Although listed as a "Consulting Professor", Keith Devlin resides at his
> own location at Stanford University, with essentially no contact with the
> mathematics department itself. He does have lots of NPR worshipers.
>

> Wayne

He's more associated with the MAA in my mind (Mathematical Association of
America).

He does a column for their website.

http://www.maa.org/community/maa-blogs

I first heard Devlin talk about teaching calculus by relating it to the
concept of film (each frame a small delta) at a Math Summit in 1997,
organized by my friend Terry Bristol of the Institute for Science,
Engineering, and Public Policy (ISEPP.org) and staged in Corvallis (Oregon
State).

http://www.grunch.net/synergetics/mathsummit.html

Sir Roger Penrose was there. Also Ralph Abraham of UCSB.

However he didn't go into much detail about his idea and I haven't seen
where he spelled it out (he may well have, at book length for all I know).

I picture a momentum vector mv, say a VW bug going for a small distance d
in a time frame (mvd/t) which in Newtonian units is mvv or Energy (E). mvd
is action, as in Planck, hence E = hf is another way of looking at energy
(action per time).

"Lights, camera, action!" <-- I like linking to action as a physics unit.
Ditto "work" (everyone works, which means to spend energy).

Every frame is like an "energy bucket" in showing its being spent. When
the film runs too fast, we notice. E/t (energy spent over time) is
affected by the frame rate. We think: "things don't really happen that
fast, a VW is not that powerful" etc.

At the limit, we imagine no separate time frames, as the action is
smoothly continuous (infinite FPS), plus it's not really on film. We're
*in* the film. We're the stars.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
4/19/17