The Math Forum

Topic: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Replies: 46   Last Post: Sep 24, 2017 8:28 AM

Conway

Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 8:03:00 PM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
> Conway brought next idea :
> >>
> >> Place is important.

> > I agree...."Place" is important....Place is a matter of space....zero is
> > place...zero is space...

> Important for representations only, not for the number in mind.
> Mathematics is filled with abstractions, a 'number' can be expressed in
> many ways. You seem to want to imbue numbers with two attributes each
> and "do math" with them while avoiding a perceived problem with zero as
> it stands.
>
> To me, zero is not a problem and limits are just another representation
> of a number, not only a representation of (a method for) an
> approximation of a number.
>
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mmmh....I suppose I can agree with you here....actually I have talked to many Phd's in this matter.....they have said about as much.....I however do believe that it's broke....

Date Subject Author
9/21/17
Read 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Markus Klyver
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Markus Klyver
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Markus Klyver
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
FromTheRafters
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Conway
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
FromTheRafters
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Conway
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Dan Christensen
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Conway
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Dan Christensen
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Conway
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Peter Percival
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/24/17
[...]
Bill
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Conway
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
zelos.malum@gmail.com
9/22/17