The Math Forum

Topic: C-STEM means keep doing the science
Replies: 9   Last Post: Sep 29, 2017 1:47 PM

kirby urner

Re: C-STEM means keep doing the science
att1.html (2.7 K)

It's not a problem for me if you're on board with the C-STEM approach, even
if we rebrand a lot of what you called "math" to the "computer science"
side of the fence. It's still logs, exponents, half life stuff, but we
needed to use a Jupyter Notebook or something like that, in Mr. Urner's
classroom. SageMath maybe?

Avogadro's number as a floating point Numeric type object in scientific
notation will be one of several constants we keep kicking around (as in
"going back to").

How much does one Avogadro's number (one mole) of Cesium-137 atoms weigh,
in pounds?

If all of them are radioactive to start, in how many years will about half
of them have discharged?

You're welcome to look it up on-line (no penalty for looking up facts about
atoms versus memorizing the whole Periodic Table top to bottom).

CS-friendly needn't mean "math unfriendly". On the contrary, the CS
emphasis on "type sense" as in "what type of object is this?

This question of type, as in "Integer? Vector? Quaternion?" is the same
as "into what set does this object belong?"

I can't think of any math teacher objecting to a growing sense of
"membership domains" ala

N < Z < Q < R < C < whatever letter we use for Quaternions (concentric
number sets).

Kirby