The Math Forum

Topic: The objects that Newton played with were called infinite series
but had ZERO to do with infinity. The name infinite series is a misnomer.

Replies: 3   Last Post: Sep 30, 2017 3:10 PM

bursejan@gmail.com

Re: The objects that Newton played with were called infinite series
but had ZERO to do with infinity. The name infinite series is a misnomer.

Formally you can multiply two series, even if they
are not coverging. For example by the box method,

you can multiply the following two series:

s = 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 ... = diverges

t = 0 + 1 - 1 + 1 ... = diverges

By the box method you get:

s*t = 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + ... = 0

So Newton and all these guys that don't use convergence
criteria, might get converging series as some end-product,
maybe claiming wrong poperties about these series.

For example if Newton would believe that s had a value
and that t had a value, he would have believed that
he had found a factoring of zero:

s*t = 0

Or there are bird brains such as John Gabriel, who
believe they have found a new calculus, by not working
rigorously.