The Math Forum

Topic: 20 years later and 900 times faster with dual core 64 bit, it took 6 hours to search 5000 tables
Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 30, 2017 4:44 PM

Wally W.

Re: 20 years later and 900 times faster with dual core 64 bit, it took 6 hours to search 5000 tables

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 07:01:47 -0700 (PDT), Tony Lance wrote:

>So in 1997 I used 50 CERN experimental results which showed particle mass in MeV, error
>margin and charge of sub-atomic particles. I checked them against 10 Platonic and
>Archimedean solids using the number of polkadots on a polygon. With a Fortran 77 program
>5000 tables were searched for best fit in 90 minutes on an IBM bog standard PC. 20 years
>later and 900 times faster with dual core 64 bit, it took 6 hours to search 5000 tables
>for best fit against 4741 derived particles and 2724 solids of two polygons. this time
>using Fortran 95 with 40 decimal places and a NAG Perpetual Accademic License which lets
>me freely distribute ready to run software with a built-in run time library. A commercial
>license would have cost 10 times more. However there is still the problem of the needle
>in a haystack.

Needs paragraph breaks.

Also needs OS details.

What is "bog" in "IBM bog standard PC?"

Are you saying what took 1.5 hours with 1997 tech (in DOS?) took 6
hours (four times longer) with 2017 tech (in Windows?).