The Math Forum

Topic: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 4   Last Post: Sep 30, 2017 8:40 PM

bursejan@gmail.com

= 0.333...

Well you wrote here Newton didn't consider infinity,
and you say he can define partial sums without infinity.

Well this might be true, but you then go on and say
he used limits. But how do you get limits, without

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.math/HIzzJSLsw60/vSOH7WnhAwAJ

knowing whether a series converges or not? For convergence
you need to make statement about infinitely many elements,

for example the Cauchy condition, is for infinitely many
pairs n,m, namely you need to know (or assume you know):

forall n,m >= N(e) |an - am| =< e

The above looks like a pi-sentence, and is not verifiable
if we do not know much about {ak}. So you are in the waters of:

It is also familiar in the philosophy of science that most
hypotheses are neither verifiable nor refutable. Thus, Kant?s
antinomies of pure reason include such statements as that space
is infinite, matter is infinitely divisible, and the series of
efficient causes is infinite. These hypotheses all have the form

forall x exists y P(x, y).

For example, infinite divisibility amounts to ?for every
product of fission, there is a time by which attempts to cut
it succeed? and the infinity of space amounts to ?for each
distance you travel, you can travel farther.?

https://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/kk3n/complearn/chapter11.pdf