The Math Forum

Topic: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 31   Last Post: Oct 3, 2017 3:02 AM

netzweltler

From: Germany
= 0.333...

Am Sonntag, 1. Oktober 2017 02:52:29 UTC+2 schrieb mitchr...@gmail.com:
> On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 2:42:46 PM UTC-7, netzweltler wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 30. September 2017 23:14:36 UTC+2 schrieb mitchr...@gmail.com:
> > >
> > > .9 repeating and One share a sameness. They are quantities
> > > that are different by the infinitely small.
> > > .9 repeating is a transcendental One; the First quantity
> > > below one. The infinitely small difference means a shared
> > > sameness that is still not absolutely same.
> > >
> > > Mitchell Raemsch

> > If there is a quantity between 0.999... and 1

> At some point there needs to be next quantities with
> nothing in between.

Here you say there is a quantity in between.

> and, therefore, these are two different points on the number line then you should define the distance between these two points. If you don't, then your first quantity is simply undefined.

> > 'infinitely small' is not a definition.

> It has a definition of being one divided by infinity
> It can't be divided any further. It is The Infinitely divided One.
> Their quantity difference is by the infinitely small.
> This means there are no quantities in between them.

Here you say there is no quantity in between.

> >There are no two distinct points on the number line 'infinite(simal)ly' far away from each other.
>

> Mitchell Raemsch

Doesn't sound like a definition to me.

Do you agree that 0.999... means infinitely many commands
Add 0.9 + 0.09
Add 0.99 + 0.009
Add 0.999 + 0.0009
??
Then following all of these infinitely many commands won?t get you to point 1. If you reached point 1 you have disobeyed those commands, because every single of those infinitely many commands tells you to get closer to 1 but NOT reach 1.
Therefore, if you want to define the position of a ?point? 0.999? on the number line, it cannot be at position 1 ? and for the same reason (?disobeying those commands?) it cannot be short of 1 nor can it be past 1.
So, if you want to measure the distance |1 ? 0.999?| you know where to start the measurement (at point 1) but you don?t know where to stop the measurement, because the position of a ?point? 0.999? is not defined on the number line.

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
= 0.333...