The Math Forum

Topic: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 14   Last Post: Oct 2, 2017 6:05 AM

Me

= 0.333...

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 9:48:24 PM UTC+2, John Gabriel wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 October 2017 14:38:14 UTC-5, Me wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 9:32:32 PM UTC+2, John Gabriel wrote:
> >
> > "It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3 = 0.333..."
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > "0.333..." is just short for
> >
> > lim SUM_{k=1..n} (3/10^n)
> > n->oo

> Wrong. It is short for
>
> SUM_{k=1...oo} (3/10^n)

John, you really should seek some help.

I guess, you once KNEW that

SUM_{k=1...oo}

is just short for

lim SUM_{k=1..n} .
n->oo

Hint: We CAN'T actually "sum up" infinitely many terms.