The Math Forum

Topic: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 1, 2017 4:06 PM

Me

= 0.333...

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 9:59:14 PM UTC+2, John Gabriel wrote:

> why use "0.333..." as the representation and not "asadaff..."

Because it gives a hint which number I might mean in this case.

Same with

0.111...
0.222...
0.333...
:
0.999...

> You use 0.333... because it is supported by the idea of an infinite sum.

Guess so.

> By the same token [...] you would never write 3.14159... for pi if it
> did not have the support of the [...] infinite sum.

Guess so, yes. :-)

It's called /decimal representation/.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_representation