The Math Forum

Topic: Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 9   Last Post: Oct 2, 2017 8:32 PM

FromTheRafters

Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3 = 0.333...

netzweltler formulated the question :
> Am Montag, 2. Oktober 2017 22:40:48 UTC+2 schrieb Me:
>> On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 10:09:44 PM UTC+2, burs...@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>> Well this is probably the greatest nonsense somebody
>>> ever posted on sci.math.

>> I don't thinks so. You know there are such luminaries like WM, AP or JG.
>>
>> But actually "Netzweltler" already showed up in de.sci.mathematic posting
>> nonsensical views concernig (infinitely many) "commands", "steps" and their
>> "result" etc. etc.

> So, what's wrong about (infinitely many) "commands", "steps" and their
> "result" etc. etc.?

Nothing really, it looks like a good way to get approximations as near
to a number as desired, but mathematics is not restricted to simple
arithmetic.