The Math Forum

Topic: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 31   Last Post: Oct 3, 2017 3:02 AM

bursejan@gmail.com

= 0.333...

What do you want to fix? If pi is already there,
than a 0-step process is sufficient, the process says:

hi I am at pi

Or if you want you can use a 1-step process, one
that starts with Euler number e:

hi I am at e
now I add pi-e to myself
hi I am at pi

I guess you mean Q-series or something. Yes pi is
irrational, no element from Q. And a Q-series will
never hit pi on its way. Here is a proof:

Proof: Assume a Q-series would hit pi on its way.
Then there would be an index n, such that sn=pi,
the partial sum up to n summands would equal pi.

But each partial sum of a Q-series is from Q, and
pi is not from Q, so we would get a contradiction
saying pi is from Q, since it would be sn=pi.

So by proof by contradiction the
Q-series cannot hit pi.

Am Montag, 2. Oktober 2017 23:32:25 UTC+2 schrieb netzweltler:
> Am Montag, 2. Oktober 2017 22:09:44 UTC+2 schrieb burs...@gmail.com:
> > Well this is probably the greatest nonsense somebody
> > ever posted on sci.math. You know, you didn't say
> > rational number line.
> >
> > So when it is the real number line, pi is of course
> > there. There is of course a point on the real number
> > line that is pi.

> It doesn't make sense to discuss the "number line" as long as the problem under discussion hasn't been fixed.
>

> > Am Montag, 2. Oktober 2017 19:54:44 UTC+2 schrieb netzweltler:

> > > Yes. pi is already there and we can exactly locate its position on the number line, but you cannot locate a point on the number line representing pi if this point would be the result of a stepwise process - neither a finite process nor an infinite.

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
= 0.333...