The Math Forum

Topic: Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 42   Last Post: Oct 9, 2017 11:53 AM

FromTheRafters

Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3 = 0.333...

netzweltler brought next idea :
> Am Dienstag, 3. Oktober 2017 03:22:11 UTC+2 schrieb Jim Burns:
>> On 10/2/2017 2:47 PM, netzweltler wrote:

>>> So, you disagree that
>>> 0.999... = 0.9 + 0.09 + 0.009 + ... ?

>> Your '...' is not usable. If we say what we _really_ mean,
>> in a manner clear enough to reason about, then the '...'
>> disappears. Also, what we are left with are finitely many
>> statements of finite length. You will not find infinitely
>> many commands in those finitely-many, finite-length
>> statements.
>>
>> We sometimes write the set of natural numbers as
>> { 0, 1, 2, 3, ... }
>> The '...' is informal. We do not use '...' in our reasoning,
>> we use a correct description of what the '...' stands for.
>>
>> Do you see '...' anywhere in the following?
>>
>> The set N contains 0, and for every element x in N, its
>> successor Sx is in N.
>>
>> This is true of N but not true of any _proper_ subset of N.
>>
>> _Therefore_ , if we can prove that B is a subset of N
>> which contains 0 and which, for element x of B, contains Sx,
>> then B is not a _proper_ subset of N.
>>
>> B nonetheless is a subset of N, we just said so. The only subset
>> of N which B can be is N. Therefore, B = N.
>>
>> This is finite reasoning about the infinitely many elements
>> in N. Note that there is no '...' in it.
>>
>> I could continue and derive 0.999... = 1 from our definitions,
>> and nowhere in that derivation will be '...'. There will not be
>> infinitely many commands in it either.

> Sorry, no. The meaning of "..." is absolutely clear in this context and we
> both know that there is a decimal place for each n ? N in 0.999...

But 0.999 repeating is a rational number, no need for repeating
decimals at all in the naturals. Repeating zeros is okay I guess, but
why use them in the naturals. In the rationals and reals, repeating
zeros are called 'terminating' decimal expansions and the trailing
zeros are elided.

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
Guest