The Math Forum

Topic: Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 42   Last Post: Oct 9, 2017 11:53 AM

FromTheRafters

Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3 = 0.333...

Jim Burns was thinking very hard :
> On 10/3/2017 12:15 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
>> Jim Burns submitted this idea :
>
>>> It's the same reason we assign the infinite decimal 0.1234000...
>>> to the terminating decimal 0.1234. We want 0.1234000... to be
>>> _something_ . What else would it be?

>> I think you missed my point.

> You're very likely right about that.
>
> I think I would have to study this thread more closely in order
> to appreciate this better from netzweltler's point of view.
> He seems determined to use things in a non-standard way.
> I just want to point out that it's non-standard and (I hope)
> explain the standard way.

It is good to do so just in case somebody comes here to learn
something. There is a lot of bad information being regurgitated here.
It is as if they want to mislead those who don't already know how to
tell the difference between intuitive sounding bullshit and mathematics
which can at times seem to be very counterintuitive.

Also, I understand that it sometimes helps those in the know to use
these trolls (cranks) as sounding boards for their own honing of their
explanations or clarifications. Maybe, if they are teachers, they can
help their students better after such honing.

It would be great, IMO, if they would learn to trim their posts though
and refrain from repeating the same retort over and over again.

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
Guest
= 0.333...