The Math Forum

Topic: Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 42   Last Post: Oct 9, 2017 11:53 AM

FromTheRafters

Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3 = 0.333...

netzweltler laid this down on his screen :
> Am Dienstag, 3. Oktober 2017 14:20:11 UTC+2 schrieb FromTheRafters:
>> netzweltler brought next idea :

>>> Sorry, no. The meaning of "..." is absolutely clear in this context and we
>>> both know that there is a decimal place for each n ? N in 0.999...

>> But 0.999 repeating is a rational number, no need for repeating
>> decimals at all in the naturals. Repeating zeros is okay I guess, but
>> why use them in the naturals. In the rationals and reals, repeating
>> zeros are called 'terminating' decimal expansions and the trailing
>> zeros are elided.

> I'm not sure if you got what I meant. Let me rephrase it:
>
> The meaning of "..." is absolutely clear in this context and we both know
> that there is a nth decimal place for each n ? N in 0.999...

Okay, so the natural number is only an index for positions in the
endless (ad infinitum) string of nines in the decimal expansion.

We're still in the reals, good. :) Sorry for my confusion.

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
Guest
= 0.333...