The Math Forum

Topic: An infinite sum is NOT a limit and 0.333... is not well defined
as 1/3.

Replies: 5   Last Post: Oct 5, 2017 10:11 AM

bursejan@gmail.com

Re: An infinite sum is NOT a limit and 0.333... is not well defined
as 1/3.

The problem here is a confusion of "Cauchy sequence" used
in real analysis, where the "Cauchy property" implies limit.
And the "Cauchy sequence" in foundational construction
of the reals. Where you don't have any limits available,

because you are just about to construct the reals.
I admit, it needs a little bit elasticity of the brain,
a big problem for bird brains like John Gabriel.
It wouldn't be a problem if his brain had a switch,
which reads as follows:
- Switch State 1: We doing foundational math
- Switch State 2: We are doing real analysis

Of course the are not seemless State 1 and State 2.
We wanted to explain this to you already in the
case of the rational numbers. Foundational they
are pairs <p,q> representing fractions p/q.

But if you work with Q, these pairs disappear.
Its like with "S=Lim S", the difference disappears,
its a lot of magic for a bird brain, and very
different from cheese rolling, pitty you didn't win:

Cheese Rolling 2017 at Cooper's Hill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK1j06Gjp94