The Math Forum

Topic: Finally the discussion is over: S = Lim S is a bad definition.
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 7, 2017 4:39 AM

Markus Klyver

Re: Finally the discussion is over: S = Lim S is a bad definition.

Den onsdag 4 oktober 2017 kl. 11:27:43 UTC+2 skrev John Gabriel:
> On Tuesday, 3 October 2017 20:32:47 UTC-4, wrote:
> > Well its the mean value between 0.999... and 1.0.
> What are you saying you baboon, what are you mumbling about? You can only calculate an arithmetic mean between well formed numbers you moron! 0.999... is NOT a number of any kind. It represents a SERIES. If you define it stupidly as Euler did to be equal to its limit, then you are taking the mean of 1 and 1. There is nothing to do you HUGE APE!!!!
> Grow a brain. You sit pounding out your brain farts on sci.math. Get a job idiot!!!!! No one will hire you once they read the crap you write here.
> <6 year old rant>

0.999... is a short hand for an infinite sum which we define as the limit of a finite sum as the number of terms approaches infinity.

Den torsdag 5 oktober 2017 kl. 08:01:05 UTC+2 skrev 7777777:
> torstai 5. lokakuuta 2017 8.44.17 UTC+3 Zelos Malum kirjoitti:
> > 0.999... must equal 1, there cannot be any other way for it to be.
> fail.
> in real numbers 0.(9) is not equal to 1.

It indeed does. Or how do you define 0.(9)?