The Math Forum

Topic: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped

Replies: 27   Last Post: Oct 8, 2017 12:41 AM

Jan Bielawski

Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from

On Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 6:59:20 PM UTC-7, Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
> [...]
> > >

> > > Dan

> > I have seriously considered buying and mailing a model to Archie.
> >
> > It seems essential that the model be very precisely made.
> > It seems essential that the eccentricity of the model be almost 1.
> > It seems essential that the intersection be able to be removed, flipped
> > in all four possible orientations and replaced to see it is an exact fit.
> >
> > If any of those were not the case then I'm certain that Archie
> > would dream up some tortured convolution to claim that this doesn't
> > disprove his delusion and in fact it actually proves he is correct.
> >
> > It would be cute if there were two spheres of just the right size were included.
> >
> > I have not found a model online available for purchase that I thought
> > would be sufficiently overwhelmingly convincing. I have looked at
> > making such a model by hand and I don't think it would be precise enough.
> >
> > Way back soon after he started screeching his oval nonsense I told him
> > that he should go to a machine shop and have them produce a really
> > precise model out of steel that would definitely settle this question.
> >
> > He didn't do that, just like he doesn't do anything else that might
> > refute his mental illness. He refuses, for example, to look at web
> > pages that people point out to him which would refute his illness,
> > because he claims to be frightened of malware, but at the same
> > time he is happy to go to web pages and scrape the lists of names of
> > false foggy fools who won't teach his mental illness to the world.
> >
> > If anyone can find a sufficiently overwhelmingly convincing model
> > available for purchase then I would chip in for the price.
> >
> > I've also considered doing the same for other models which would
> > refute his mental illness point by point. But they would have to be
> > overwhelmingly obviously convincing to the mind of a twelve year old.
> > They can't involve algebra, Archie seems to have lost all that long ago.
> > They can't involve proof, Archie seems to have lost all that long ago.
> >
> > I'm becoming more and more convinced that people making posts just
> > telling him that he is wrong and stupid only reinforce Archie's
> > mental illness, they show him that no one, or almost no one, believes
> > what he is saying and that reinforces his belief of how special he
> > imagines himself to be.
> >
> > If in the first few days of a new novel claim posted by Archie, long
> > before his dog brain has become invested in the claim, if someone
> > takes the time to obviously simply prove at the level that a
> > twelve-year-old can see that there is a mistake then there have been
> > a number of cases where Archie silently drops that claim, never says
> > a word about how he was wrong, and moves on to something else.
> > But once Archie has fully invested his dog brain in a claim then
> > there seems to be nothing that can change what is left of his mind.

> Well thanks for the thoughts, but I already proved several times over that a cone is always a Oval section

No, this is false. Do you have a point to make?

--
Jan

Date Subject Author
10/5/17
Read How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Michael Moroney
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Jan Bielawski
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Dan Christensen
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Jan Bielawski
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Dan Christensen
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Me
qbwrfmlx@gmail.com
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Dan Christensen
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/5/17
Read The butterfly cut, a V cut into conics Re: How we get a Ellipse from
a Conic
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Michael Moroney
10/6/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Jan Bielawski
10/6/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Jan Bielawski
10/6/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Me
10/6/17
Read 1)Gottingen's Dorothea Bahns, Laurent Bartholdi, are you as dumb
stupid and messy about Conics as Franz? Oval is the conic section, never ellipse
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read Re: 1)Gottingen's Dorothea Bahns, Laurent Bartholdi, are you as dumb
stupid and messy about Conics as Franz? Oval is the conic section, never ellipse
bursejan@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read 11) Is Andrew Wiles, John Conway failures of trigonometry like
Burse//sine wave is semicircle Not sinusoidal
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read Re: 11) Is Andrew Wiles, John Conway failures of trigonometry like
Burse//sine wave is semicircle Not sinusoidal
Jan Bielawski
10/7/17
Read Re: 11) Is Andrew Wiles, John Conway failures of trigonometry like Burse//sine wave is semicircle Not sinusoidal
Michael Moroney
10/7/17
Read 4) Harvard's Mark Kisin, Peter Kronheimer, Jacob Lurie as dumb as
Mike Moroney, still teaching a ellipse is a conic when even students know it
is a OVAL
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/7/17
Read Re: Archimedes "Always Wrong" Plutonium's descent into madness continues...
Michael Moroney
10/8/17
Read Re: 4) Harvard's Mark Kisin, Peter Kronheimer, Jacob Lurie as dumb as