The Math Forum

Topic: Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 42   Last Post: Oct 9, 2017 11:53 AM

netzweltler

From: Germany
= 0.333...

Am Freitag, 6. Oktober 2017 02:54:40 UTC+2 schrieb Jim Burns:
> On 10/5/2017 3:12 PM, netzweltler wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 5. Oktober 2017 17:59:25 UTC+2
> > schrieb Jim Burns:

> >> [...]

> >> "Nevertheless"?
> >> Do you agree that what you're describing
> >> is not what we're doing?

> *NETZWELTLER*
> DO YOU AGREE THAT WHAT YOU'RE DOING
> IS NOT WHAT WE'RE DOING?

Let's say I agree. Doesn't mean that it is obvious to me what *you* are doing.
All I've seen so far is, that you define 0.999... to be the LUB or limit (I guess you use these expressions interchangeably in this context) of the sequence
(1-1/10^n)n?N. That's it.

Do we agree that a LUB or a limit is a point on the number line - or to simplify it in case of a positive number - a point on a geometric line from 0 to +infinity? I haven't seen any proof for that yet other than the claim that it is. For some reason coincident with point 1.

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
Guest
= 0.333...