The Math Forum

Topic: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Replies: 22   Last Post: Oct 7, 2017 12:52 AM

William Elliot

Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that
converges?

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017, konyberg wrote:
> > > Consider these two series.
> > > s = lim (n=1 to inf) Sum(1/n) and t = lim (n=1 to inf) Sum(1/(1+n)).
> > > Both series diverges, going to infinity.
> > > Now if we multiply these, we can argue that every product of the new series is smaller or equal to 1/n^2. So it should converge. Or can we?

> > The new series defined this way would be sum(1/(n(n+1))) which converges.
> >
> > But if you define series multiplication this way, you won't get the
> > property that the result sums to the product of the two original series.
> > For THAT to work you need to define the product differently, see e.g.:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_product

> No it will not!
> Sum (1/n) * Sum (1/(n+1) <> Sum (1/n * 1/(n+1))
> That is the point!

Big deal. So divergent series act differently than convergent series.
Are you demanding otherwise?

Date Subject Author
10/6/17
Read Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Markus Klyver
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that
converges?
Peter Percival
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that
converges?
Mike Terry
bursejan@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
bursejan@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that
converges?
Mike Terry
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/7/17
[...]
Jan Bielawski