The Math Forum

Topic: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped

Replies: 27   Last Post: Oct 8, 2017 12:41 AM

plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com

4) Harvard's Mark Kisin, Peter Kronheimer, Jacob Lurie as dumb as
Mike Moroney, still teaching a ellipse is a conic when even students know it
is a OVAL

On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 8:22:01 AM UTC-5, Michael Moroney wrote:
> Jan <filmart@gmail.com> writes:

4) Harvard's Mark Kisin, Peter Kronheimer, Jacob Lurie as dumb as Mike Moroney, still teaching a ellipse is a conic when even students know it is a OVAL

3)Stanford's Tom Church, Ralph Cohen, Brian Conrad, as dumb as Jan Bielawski, still teaching a ellipse is Conic when in truth it is Oval

Jan Bielawski says that take a section of Cone and it is a ellipse, and, take a section of cylinder and it is an ellipse, for which, even the idiot Franz responded that seems counterintuitive, but which Franz still believes is true. Anyone not crazy as Jan or Franz, knows the cone is different from cylinder and would immediately recognize the oval is the conic section, but not crazies.

Now the Rectangular Solid, a box, has a sectioning, a cut that is a rectangle, and the rectangle is the analog of an ellipse, and the Rectangular Solid is the analog of a Cylinder

Now, the Square Pyramid is the analog of a cone, and the sectioning of the square-pyramid, if you listen to the crazies around here-- Jan Bielawski, Franz, Jan Burse, Mike Moroney, Alouatta, etc, if you listen to the crazies, well, they would chime in and say the sectioning of the square-pyramid is a rectangle, when in fact, it is a trapezoid.

So, since Stanford University math professors keep teaching that the Ellipse is a Conic section, we can only say, that the Math Department at Stanford is as dumb, as crazy as is Jan Bielawski.

And that is a horrible statement of fact, that math professors at Stanford keep teaching young students a pitiful and crazy math. When students deserve far better.

Now, I have a toy collection of Geometry figures one of a rectangular solid (box), cone, square-pyramid and cylinder. All four are see-through plastic.

Please, some Stanford students take those see through plastics to classes at Stanford and ask the professor what sections does he/she get from each.

Students deserve better, than to have a bunch of crazies teaching them.

Harvard Math dept

Noam Elkies (FP)

Dennis Gaitsgory (FP)

Robin Gottlieb (PP)

Benedict Gross (FP)

Joseph Harris (FP)

Heisuke Hironaka (EM)

Michael Hopkins (FP)

Arthur Jaffe (FP)

David Kazhdan (EM)

Mark Kisin (FP)

Peter Kronheimer (FP)

Jacob Lurie (FP)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Eric Maskin (FP)

Barry Mazur (FP)

Curtis McMullen (FP)

David Mumford (EM)

Martin Nowak (FP)

Gerald Sacks (EM)

Wilfried Schmid (FP)

Yum-Tong Siu (FP)

Shlomo Sternberg (EM)

John Tate (EM)

Cliff Taubes (FP)

Hugh Woodin (FP)

Horng-Tzer Yau (FP)

Shing-Tung Yau (FP)

Stanford University, math dept.

Brumfiel, Gregory
Professor Emeritus

Bump, Daniel
Professor

Candès, Emmanuel
Professor; Barnum-Simons Chair in Mathematics and Statistics; Professor of Electrical Engineering (by courtesy)

Carlsson, Gunnar
Professor Emeritus

Charikar, Moses
Professor of Computer Science and, by courtesy, of

Chatterjee, Sourav
Professor of Mathematics and Professor of Statistics

zzzzz

Church, Tom
Assistant Professor

Cohen, Ralph
Barbara Kimball Browning Professor in the School of Humanities and Sciences

Conrad, Brian
Professor

zzzzzzz
Conrey, Brian
Consulting Professor

Dembo, Amir
Marjorie Mhoon Fair Professor in Quantitative Science; Professor (Mathematics & Statistics and, by courtesy, Electrical Enginerring)

Diaconis, Persi
Mary V. Sunseri Professor of Statistics and Mathematics

Eliashberg, Yakov
Herald L. and Caroline L. Ritch Professor of Mathematics

Finn, Robert
Professor Emeritus

Fox, Jacob
Professor

Fredrickson, Laura
Szegö Assistant Professor

Galatius, Søren
Professor

George, Schaeffer
Lecturer

Hershkovits, Or
Szegö Assistant Professor

Hoffman, David
Consulting Professor

Ionel, Eleny
Professor and Chair

Kallosh, Renata
Professor (Physics and, by courtesy, Mathematics)

Katznelson, Yitzhak
Professor Emeritus

Kazeev, Vladimir
Szegö Assistant Professor

Kemeny, Michael
Szegö Assistant Professor

Kerckhoff, Steven
Robert Grimmett Professor in Mathematics

Kimport, Susie
Lecturer

Li, Jun
Professor

Liu, Tai-Ping
Professor Emeritus

Lucianovic, Mark
Senior Lecturer

Luk, Jonathan
Assistant Professor

Manners, Frederick
Szegö Assistant Professor

Mazzeo, Rafe
Professor

Milgram, R. James
Professor Emeritus

Mirzakhani, Maryam
Professor

Mueller, Stefan
Visiting Assistant Professor

Ohrt, Christopher
Szegö Assistant Professor

Ornstein, Donald
Professor Emeritus

Papanicolaou, George
Robert Grimmett Professor of Mathematics

Ryzhik, Lenya
Professor

Schoen, Richard
Professor Emeritus

Simon, Leon
Professor Emeritus

Sommer, Rick
Lecturer

Soundararajan, Kannan
Professor

Tokieda, Tadashi
Teaching Professor

Tsai, Cheng-Chiang
Szegö Assistant Professor

Vakil, Ravi
Professor

Vasy, András
Professor

Venkatesh, Akshay
Professor

Vondrák, Jan
Associate Professor

White, Brian
Robert Grimmett Professor of Mathematics

Wieczorek, Wojciech
Lecturer

Wilson, Jennifer
Szegö Assistant Professor

Wright, Alex
Acting Assistant Professor

Ying, Lexing
Professor

Zhu, Xuwen
Szegö Assistant Professor

    !!!
   /o o\
  (  >  )
   \ - /
   _] [_

------

    !!!
   /o o\
  (  >  )
o00 \ - / 00o
   _] [_

Date Subject Author
10/5/17
Read How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Michael Moroney
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Jan Bielawski
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Dan Christensen
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Jan Bielawski
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Dan Christensen
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Me
qbwrfmlx@gmail.com
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Dan Christensen
10/5/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/5/17
Read The butterfly cut, a V cut into conics Re: How we get a Ellipse from
a Conic
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Michael Moroney
10/6/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Jan Bielawski
10/6/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Jan Bielawski
10/6/17
Read Re: How we get a Ellipse from a Conic, and how we get a Oval from
Cylinder Sections-- knifes that are V and asymmetrical V shaped
Me
10/6/17
Read 1)Gottingen's Dorothea Bahns, Laurent Bartholdi, are you as dumb
stupid and messy about Conics as Franz? Oval is the conic section, never ellipse
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read Re: 1)Gottingen's Dorothea Bahns, Laurent Bartholdi, are you as dumb
stupid and messy about Conics as Franz? Oval is the conic section, never ellipse
bursejan@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read 11) Is Andrew Wiles, John Conway failures of trigonometry like
Burse//sine wave is semicircle Not sinusoidal
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read Re: 11) Is Andrew Wiles, John Conway failures of trigonometry like
Burse//sine wave is semicircle Not sinusoidal
Jan Bielawski
10/7/17
Read Re: 11) Is Andrew Wiles, John Conway failures of trigonometry like Burse//sine wave is semicircle Not sinusoidal
Michael Moroney
10/7/17
Read 4) Harvard's Mark Kisin, Peter Kronheimer, Jacob Lurie as dumb as
Mike Moroney, still teaching a ellipse is a conic when even students know it
is a OVAL
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/7/17
Read Re: Archimedes "Always Wrong" Plutonium's descent into madness continues...
Michael Moroney
10/8/17
Read Re: 4) Harvard's Mark Kisin, Peter Kronheimer, Jacob Lurie as dumb as