The Math Forum

Topic: Kick out the insane stalkers from sci.math-- Dan Christensen and
Mike Moroney, Jan Bielawski, Franz

Replies: 6   Last Post: Nov 9, 2017 1:14 AM

Jan Bielawski

Re: Kick out the insane stalkers from sci.math-- Dan Christensen and

On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 12:36:30 PM UTC-8, John Gabriel wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 15:10:53 UTC-5, Jan wrote:

> > Yes, FAPP it is error-free. There are unanswered questions, of course, but
> > other than that mathematics is _FAPP_ correct.

> > This is your problem and your error. In general, you are an ignoramus with
> > arrogance to match (a standard combination, BTW).
> >

> > > Most of the issues you mentioned are actually quite correct,
> >
> > No, they are actually incorrect.
> >

> > > and the whole story seems a matter of huge corruption in our alleged modern mathematics.
> >
> > There is no "huge corruption" in mathematics, this is all ignorant nonsense,
> > if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell.

> I am not even going to try and defend AP because he is a lunatic. However, I am not so sure there is no intellectual dishonesty in mainstream academia. I am convinced there is much of it.

Yes, there is _some_ but it's not noticeably worse than in any other
domain of human organised activity. So it's a question of the order of
magnitude, and the order of magnitude of what's happening in the academia
(science and math - I'm leaving all the "soft departments" aside as I
believe those ones most definitely DO have a problem) is not IMHO anywhere
near anything that would justify the phrase "huge corruption".

> With respect to truth tables, well, it's hard to know who came up with the idea first but it was Wittgenstein who first published his ideas on the same.
>
> There is most definitely a disconnect between Boolean logic and natural language logic which identifies valid inferences by their lexical and syntactic features.

Yes, that was debated a lot. Mathematics normally uses Boolean logic,
other systems were investigated motivated by certain paradoxical
consequences or experiments (quantum mechanics).

--
Jan