The Math Forum

Topic: Why do we need those real non-constructible numbers?
Replies: 6   Last Post: Nov 10, 2017 4:08 AM

wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de

Re: Why do we need those real non-constructible numbers?

Am Mittwoch, 8. November 2017 13:35:45 UTC+1 schrieb John Gabriel:

> **** A number is the measure of a magnitude (using an established unit) ****
>
> If any magnitude cannot be measured by another, then there is NO number that describes it.
>
> Incommensurable magnitudes CANNOT be measured in ANY base.

Incommensurable means not simultaneously measurable with one and the same meter stick.

> There is no such thing as an "irrational base". Chuckle.

If you construct the diagonal of a unit square you have constructed sqrt2. If you draw a unit circle you have contsructed pi.

Regards, WM