The Math Forum

Topic: Why do we need those real non-constructible numbers?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 9, 2017 4:10 AM

wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de

Re: Why do we need those real non-constructible numbers?

Am Donnerstag, 9. November 2017 09:52:09 UTC+1 schrieb John Gabriel:
> On Thursday, 9 November 2017 01:45:55 UTC-5, WM wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 9. November 2017 00:20:12 UTC+1 schrieb John Gabriel:
> >

> > > In fact WM, if you try to state that half itself or any other portion of itself measures it, then you've already assumed that the whole has a measure. That's incorrect.
> >
> > I assume that the diagonal of a square has a length.

> Of course a diagonal has a length, but it has no measure.
>
> Length =/= measure

Here you are a greater purist than me. But would it cause mathematics going astray when lenght is equated with measure of length and number is equated with measure?

Regards, WM