The Math Forum

Topic: Tim Chow in Forcing for dummies
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 9, 2017 6:04 AM

Alan Smaill

Re: Tim Chow in Forcing for dummies

WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> writes:

> Am Mittwoch, 8. November 2017 20:15:08 UTC+1 schrieb Alan Smaill:
>

>> I mean that you should adopt the reasoning of ZF to show its
>> inconsistency. Your argument is so simple, what could the problem
>> possibly be in doing this?

> It is impossible to express notions like model in pure logic such that
> a set theorists would not find a way to contradict what he
> dislikes. Already the "all" used by Zermelo is not accepted by you.

You really think that if someone actually proved a contradiction
in ZF then that would simply be ignored?

Any excuse to avoid actually making good on your own claims.

>> > It is hardly
>> > possible to convince a gang of fools that they are fools.

>> Frege was convinced by Russell when his set theory was shown
>> to be inconsistent.

> At those times people were honest.

As you are, no doubt.

> If you would try to find an example, I would show you where you are in
> error. But that would unveil your inability. So you continue only to
> claim counterfactual nonsense.

You are welcome to argue that ZF is counterfactual
(though you do a poor job of doing that).

But what you are claiming is not that ZF is counterfactual,
but that it is internally contradictory.

Try again.
Fail again.

--
Alan Smaill